Gary S. Jacobson
Gary S. Jacobson
- Is a 1972 graduate of Yale College (A.B. with Honors), where he served as Chairman of the Yale Record, and a 1976 graduate of the University of Virginia Law School (J.D.), where he served as a member of the board of editors of the Virginia Law Review (1974-76).
- Is Chairman of Lovell Stewart Halebian Jacobson LLP’s antitrust department;
- Has an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell;
- Has been litigating antitrust cases since the Uranium Antitrust Litigation (N.D.Ill.) in 1979;
- Made the successful oral argument in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Starr v. Sony BMG Music Entertainment, 592 F.3d 314 (2d Cir. 2010), resulting in the first appellate reversal of an order dismissing an antitrust class action complaint under the Supreme Court’s Bell Atlantic Corp. v. Twombly decision;
- Made the successful oral argument in the Southern District of New York in opposition to the motion to dismiss in the Sumitomo Copper Litigation, 995 F. Supp. 451 (S.D.N.Y. 1998) commodity manipulation class action;
- Made the successful oral argument in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Grandon v. Merrill Lynch, 147 F.3d 184 (2d Cir. 1998), resulting in the appellate reversal of an order dismissing a securities fraud class action complaint and holding for the first time that the “shingle theory” applied to municipal bond transactions;
- Has actively litigated many of the Firm’s price-fixing or commodities manipulation class actions, including playing a principal role in In re LIBOR-Based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 2262 (NRB) (S.D.N.Y.); Precision Assoc., Inc. v. Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd. (Freight Forwarders Antitrust Litig.), 08 Civ. 0042 (JG)(VVP), (E.D.N.Y.); In re Dynamic Random Access Memory (“DRAM”) Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1486(PJH) (N.D.Cal.); Leider v. Ralfe (DeBeers Diamond Jewelry Antitrust), 01 Civ. 3137 (HB) (S.D.N.Y.); In re Compact Disc Minimum Advertised Price Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1361 (D.Me.); In re Microsoft Litig., MDL No. 1332 (D.Md.); In re Dairy Farmers of America Cheese Antitrust Litig., 09-cv-3690 (N.D.Ill.); In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig., 07 cv 1827-SI (N.D.Cal.); In re Initial Public Offering Antitrust Litig., (Credit Suisse First Boston Ltd. v. Billing), No. 05-1157 (U.S.Sup.Ct.); In re Platinum and Palladium Commodities Litig., 10 Civ. 3617 (WHP) (S.D.N.Y.); Kohen v. Pacific Investment Management Co., LLC, 05 C 4681 (N.D.Ill.); In re Natural Gas Commodity Litig., 03 Civ. 6186 (VM) (S.D.N.Y.).
- Has tried more than twenty-five cases in federal and state courts, including acting as lead or sole trial counsel in cases involving claims of unfair competition, RICO, Lanham Act, patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, negotiable instruments, sales and warranties, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent conveyance, and personal injury;
- Is a member of the Bar of the State of New York, and is admitted to the Bars of the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth and Federal Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court; and
- Is a member of the board of trustees of the Mianus River Gorge, Inc., a not-for-profit land conservation and education organization.